Tips for a Brilliant Trip
Is now the perfect time to explore your dream destination?
Travelling solo can be an amazing life experience. It's your chance to carve your mark in the world, do all the things you want to do, and continue living life to the fullest!
If you're considering a solo trip (but have never travelled alone before), we've created this list of top tips to help make your holiday a brilliant one.
Tip 1. Register your travel plans
- Smartraveller advises all Australians to register their overseas travel plans on smartraveller.gov.au.
- If anything happens on your trip, this will make it easier for the government to find out where you are and possibly provide assistance.
- Before you book and depart for your travels, you should also check the travel advice for your country via the Smartraveller website.
Tip 2. Tell Someone Where You're Going
- Sending family/friends a copy of your itinerary is recommended for any solo traveller. It means that at least someone will know where you'll be at any given time.
- Make copies of your documents (passports, visas, credit cards) and leave them with someone you trust as well. If anything gets stolen or goes missing, it'll make it easier to get help.
- Checking in with friends/family while on the road is also a great idea, and lets them know that you're safe. Also, it's a great opportunity to talk about your travels!
Tip 3. Stay in popular areas
- There's nothing wrong with getting off the beaten path, but staying safe should be your top priority when travelling alone.
- Choose trustworthy hotels (always check the reviews before booking) on central, busy streets. Hotels that also offer 24/7 reception can be beneficial.
- When out and about, stick to popular and well-lit spots, especially at night, and avoid dark or deserted areas.
Tip 4. Embrace the solitude
- Remember, you're travelling solo – embrace it! There's nothing more soothing than some quality time alone.
- To fill those reflective moments, try taking a book (or something else, like the local newspaper) with you to read or a journal to write down your thoughts and plans.
- Imagine reading a novel in a café by Niagara Falls, pouring over a newspaper while on the bullet train in Japan or writing in your journal on the beach in Fiji!
Tip 5. Make your trip easy
- Look for accommodation that offers perks like included meals, organised tours and even airport shuttles.
- All of these things will make your solo trip much easier, particularly if you've never travelled alone or if you're unsure about how to get around in your chosen destination/s.
- Make sure to ask your hotel reception for a map when you arrive. This will make getting around easy. And don't be afraid to ask locals for directions if you get lost!
Tip 6. Go on tours
- Tours can provide single travellers with easy and excellent experiences. You'll get to see the best of your destination, learn about its history and chat to other travellers.
- Hop-on, hop-off bus tours can also be an excellent way to explore, and they combine the ease of getting around with the ability to create your own daily itinerary.
Tip 7. Don't forget about travel insurance
- Travel insurance is vital for any trip. Book your travel insurance as early as possible and ensure it covers everything you need.
- Some travel insurers will consider pre-existing conditions and most also offer benefits like unlimited medical and cover up to the age of 100 years old.
Tip 10. Try new things!
- One of the best things about travelling solo is that you can do anything you like. So, why not try something you wouldn't normally do?
- Whatever you do, you'll get to see and experience more than you thought, which makes for a great solo holiday.
Have you got your next holiday planned?
InsureandGo offers comprehensive travel insurance with unlimited medical and cover up to the age of 100 and consider all pre-existing conditions, too. For more info, call them on 1300 552. Quote 'Seniors15' for your Seniors Card 15% discount or Click here to grab a quote online.