6 Tranquil Holiday Escapes for ‘Peace & Quiet’ Lovers
The hustle and bustle of travelling can be lots of fun – but sometimes, all you really want is just a little peace and quiet!
If you’re thinking about taking a holiday this year, these gorgeous destinations offer plenty of serenity and relaxation away from the crowds.
1. Tropical Island Escape, Vanuatu
* This stunning island destination is perfect for those who want to experience a tropical holiday without breaking the bank.
* Vanuatu has many relaxing resorts to choose from. You can stay in a resort close to the small hub of Port Vila (try Erakor or Iririki) or escape to one of the outlying islands, like Tanna or Espiritu Santo.
* Thanks to its tropical climate, any time is a great time to visit Vanuatu. But travelling off-peak and outside of school holidays will also mean you avoid the crowds.
2. Rocky Mountaineer Train Journey, US & Canada
* What could be better than relaxing back, watching the scenery go by and having everything you need at your fingertips?
* Riding the Rocky Mountaineer is an incredible experience, with magnificent mountain and forest scenery to view, and stop-offs including Seattle, Vancouver, Whistler and Lake Louise/Banff.
* You can also choose from a number of different rail routes or even combine your trip with a cruise, a self-drive or even a quiet city stay. Note, though, that you’ll need to get to one of the departure destinations to take this train journey.
3. Côte d'Or Cultural Getaway, France
* There’s much to be said for the non-stop vibe of Paris, but if you’d prefer to get away from it all, consider Côte d'Or in Burgundy, France.
* One of National Geographic’s top places to visit in 2016, this rich, rural destination offers the best of medieval architecture alongside glorious vineyards and quaint towns.
* The area does get a little busy in the summer and when festivals are on, so do your research before booking and avoid these peak times if you’re keen for a quieter trip.
4. Milford Sound Stay, New Zealand
* If nature (and perhaps a touch of adventure) is your thing, you’ll discover a wealth of tranquillity and fun in New Zealand’s beautiful Milford Sound.
* The dedicated lodge here sits beneath the Darran Mountains and offers everything from camping to cabins to luxury chalets.
* During the day, you can do anything you like – go on a wandering hike, glide on a kayak or even take a day cruise. And at night, simply dine away or relax under the stars.
5. Rainforest Retreat, Australia
* If you’d prefer not to leave Australia, why not think about retreating into one of Queensland’s splendid and wonderfully serene rainforest spots in the Daintree?
* Private cottages, cabins and B&Bs will be your best bet for a tranquil stay here or you can treat yourself to a luxury stay in a resort or 5-star retreat.
* Many retreats can be remote in the Daintree, which can be ideal, but decide what you want access to (e.g. activities, sports, tours, dining options) before booking.
6. Big City Break, Switzerland
* Contrary to many assumptions, breaks in a big city don’t necessarily have to be noisy and crowded. Zurich is a stunning city that offers a rich cultural scene, excellent food, luxury shopping, and a generally peaceful atmosphere.
* Walking and cycling through the streets is easy in Zurich, and a bundle of tours (food tours, trolley tours, Old Town tours, Segway tours) are readily available if you want to do some city exploring.
* For the more adventurous, escaping into the surrounding Swiss Alps is entirely possible. Tours are great options if you’re unsure how to get there, and activities like skiing, hiking, taking the train, riding the cable car and dining at high altitudes are easy as pie.
Planning a trip in 2016?
InsureandGo is an award-winning Australian travel insurance provider, with specialised Seniors Travel Insurance. Get a quote now and use the promo code: Seniors15 and save 15% on 1300 401 177.
*Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Company, Limited, ABN 49 000 525 637, issues InsureandGo Travel Insurance (the insurance). Please read the combined product disclosure statement and financial services guide available at www.insureandgo.com.au/policy-wordings.html to decide if the insurance is right for you.