Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card for interstate seniors
Seniors who live outside NSW, but still within Australia, can now apply for the Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card.
- Interstate seniors are eligible if they have a valid Seniors Card, issued by an Australian State or Territory Government.
- The Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card is not available to holders of other types of seniors cards,
– National Seniors Card
– Queensland Seniors Business Discount Card
– Commonwealth Seniors Health Care Card
– New Zealand SuperGold Card
What are the benefits of travelling with a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card?
- Fares capped at $2.50 a day.
- Convenience of a smartcard ticket you keep and reuse.
Where can I travel with a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card?
- With Opal you can travel on trains, buses, ferries and light rail in Sydney, the Blue Mountains, the Central Coast, Hunter, Illawarra and the Southern Highlands.
How to apply
- Complete the application form at opal.com.au. You will need to provide a copy (front and back) of your valid Seniors Card.
- You can also download the form here by clicking below: Application form. PDF, 138.16 KB
- You should only submit your application two weeks before you need to travel, as your application will be processed immediately and your card will only be valid for 60 days from the date of issue.
- If you need to travel in NSW for longer than 60 days, you will need to submit a new application when your card expires. A new card will be mailed to you.
- Please ensure the mailing address you provide on your application is the mailing address you will be at to receive the card.
Does it cost anything to apply?
- There's no charge when applying for a Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card, however you do need to add value to travel.
How to top up
- Add value to your Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card via:
– Opal top up machines at selected locations throughout the Opal network
– Opal retailers (to find your nearest visit retailers.opal.com.au)
– 13 67 25 (13 OPAL)
- It can take up to 60 minutes for phone or online top ups to take effect.
How to travel
- Tap on and tap off by placing your Opal card against an Opal card reader at the beginning and
end of each trip.
- Opal card readers are available at train stations, on buses, at ferry wharves and at light rail stops.
- You must tap on and tap off every time, and carry a valid Seniors Card, or you may be fined.
Interstate Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card expiry
- Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal cards for interstate seniors are valid for 60 days from the date of issue.
- Seniors who are in NSW for longer than 60 days should reapply as required.
- Seniors who move to NSW from another state can apply for a Gold Opal card with no set expiry after applying for a NSW Seniors Card.
Why register your Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card
- We can remind you when your card is about to expire.
- Your card's balance will be protected if it's lost or stolen.
- You'll be able to recover any unused balance when your card expires.
- To register your card, phone 13 67 25 (13 OPAL) or visit opal.com.au.
If your Opal card is lost or stolen
- If you register your Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card you protect your balance if the card is lost
- If your registered card is lost or stolen call 13 67 25 (13 OPAL) or visit opal.com.au to order a
replacement (a fee may apply). Your balance is protected from the time of your call.
- If your Opal card is lost or stolen while unregistered, your balance isn't protected and you will need
to apply for another Opal card.
When my Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card expires can I get a refund on any value left on the card?
- Yes, you can get a refund if you apply within 90 days of your Opal card expiry. To apply, visit
opal.com.au to download an Opal card refund form, complete and return with your expired Opal
card (refer to Opal Refund and Balance Transfer Policy for further information and form). Or call
13 67 25 (OPAL) to request a form and an Opal Customer Care representative will mail one out
Want more information?
- For more information on the Gold Senior/Pensioner Opal card for interstate seniors visit opal.com.au or phone 13 67 25 (13 OPAL).