Things that you need to consider when deciding what type of pet would best suit your environment and lifestyle include:
Your home and property:
- Is there adequate space?
- Can the pet be securely confined?
- Can you provide adequate shelter?
- Can you set up separate areas for pets and young children (if applicable)?
- How much time can you (and your family, if applicable) devote to a pet?
- Will you have time to supervise young children with a pet (if applicable)?
The costs which could include:
- Micro chipping and registration
- Vet checks; vaccinations; and worming, tick and flea treatments
- Desexing (permanent sterilisation)
Once you have considered these factors, you may have a greater understanding of the type of pet that would suit you and your family. Sometimes, the most responsible thing you can do is to decide not to have a pet until your circumstances change.