Help at home

If you are thinking about getting aged care services to help you at home, you will need to consider eligibility, cost and how to organize the services you need.

If you are looking to receive services from the Commonwealth Home Support Programme or Home Care Packages, you will need to contact the My Aged Care contact centre.

My Aged Care staff will:

  • discuss your aged care needs and determine the appropriate next steps for you;
  • create a client record for you.

If you are looking to receive a Home Care Package, you will need to be assessed and found eligible by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). Alternatively, you may be eligible for services through a home support assessment, conducted by the Regional Assessment Service (RAS). Your service provider may work with you to develop a care plan. The care plan you agree to may include:

  • types of services received
  • who will provide which services
  • involvement of the service provider
  • when services are delivered
  • cost.

The Australian Government subsidises a range of aged care services in Australia. It is expected that you will contribute to the cost of your care if you can afford to do so.

Any concerns about your aged care service can be raised with your service provider. If you are still not satisfied, My Aged Care explains how to make a complaint. If your concerns involved the quality of your aged care service, an advocacy service may be able to help.

To read the full article please visit and