Resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander carers

A carer is someone who might be looking after a family member or close friend. The individual may be:

  • a person with a disability
  • frail aged
  • have a long term illness
  • terminally ill
  • have a mental health illness
  • have addiction problems

If you are doing any of this, you are a carer, it is important to know that help is available.

Getting help and support:

  • Carers Australia provide Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Project Officers you can talk to - call 1800 242 636
  • My Aged Care for information on meals and looking after your home from the Commonwealth Home Support Programme - call 1800 200 422
  • Working carers support gateway for help and advice
  • Respite care - call Commonwealth Respite and Carelink Centre (CCRC) on 1800 052 222 or 1800 059 059 after hours
  • Centrelink - in most Centrelink offices there are indigenous customer service officers who can help you - 132 717

To read the full article please visit and