What Deductions can you Claim?
When completing your tax return, you're entitled to claim deductions for some expenses, most of which are directly related to earning your income.
To claim a work-related deduction:
- you must have spent the money yourself and weren't reimbursed
- it must be related to your job
- you must have a record to prove it (there are some limited exceptions)
If the expense was for both work and private purposes, you can only claim a deduction for the work-related portion.
Follow the links below for specific deductions you can claim:
- vehicle and travel expenses, including travel between work and home
- clothing, laundry and dry-cleaning expenses
- gifts and donations
- home office expenses
- interest, dividend and other investment income deductions
- self-education expenses
- tools, equipment and other equipment
- other deductions
For more information please visit https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/Income-and-deductions/Deductions-you-can-claim/