Financial support and disability

If you care for a person with a disability, you may be eligible for a range of government schemes designed to help you meet the costs.

There are three main types of payment:

See carer payments explained for further information.

Disability support pension provides financial support for a person over 16 with a physical, intellectual or psychiatric condition that prevents them from working. 

Tax offsets for carers may also be available. Tax offsets reduce the amount of tax you pay on your taxable income. Your eligibility may be assessed from your tax return. To see if you are eligible please visit: Tax Offsets